This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by South Center Ave. to the N., Main Ave. to the S., Second St. to the E., and Third St. to the W., Denver Federal Center 80255|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF1048.2, 1996, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||This 249,000 sq. ft., brick building built in 1941, is irregular in plan and massing, having one- and two-story elements. Its original use was for the manufacture of .30 caliber cartridge cases and heavy artillery shells. The west elevation of the building consisted of a predominately two-story facade with two large clerestory, or monitor sections. On the east elevation, the exterior of the first story was dominated by a loading dock and loading bays which serviced the railroad tracks. The interior core of the building was originally a large open expanse for manufacturing with a mezzanine level overlooking the main floor. In 1946, there was a major renovation for the offices of the Veterans Administration. Also, records of the veterans residing in the mountain division were housed here. In 1965, the building underwent major remodeling which included the removal of windows on the north and east elevations. Most of these window openings were covered with insulated panels, but many were also filled in with masonry blocks and stucco. At this time, other extant windows were replaced with modern aluminum sash windows. In 1978, a 106' x 50', brick, one-story addition was built on the south elevation for use by the U.S. Geologic Survey. Also, several brick screening walls were erected at this time, enclosing open areas between the irregular sections of the building's west elevation.|