This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Denver City Tramway Company's power generating plant on Denver's west side. From the end of Berkeley Park street car line at Lakeside, west to Arvada, then north to Leyden coal mines|
|Quad||Arvada, 1950; Golden, 1944; Ralston Buttes, 1948.|
|Section||S13, T2S, R69W; S26, T2S, R70 W|
|Source||LaMessena, Robert A., Ronzio, R.A., Ryland, "Colorado's Gazeteer for Jefferson County"; Arvada Historical Society, "More Than Gold," pp. 86-93; Wilkins, "Colorado Railroads," pp. 137, 143.|
|Other||Denver and Intermountain Electric Railway|
|History||This railway was incorporated in 1901, for the purpose of hauling coal from the Leyden Mines to the Denver City Tramway Company's new power generation plant. Track gauge was 42" matching that of the Denver Tramway Company. Overhead conductors were installed for electrical operation, and power-cars made from standard gondolas were equipped with motor trucks and controls. A standard third gauge was added between Arvada and Leyden to accommodate Colorado and Southern cars. A branch to Golden, bringing the total track at Lakeside, was completed in 1904. In 1913, the Denver and Northwestern Railway and the Denver and Intermountain Electric Railway were absorbed by the Denver City Tramway Company. The routes from Sheridan Boulevard to Clear Creek Junction were: car 82 to Leyden; car 84 to Golden; and car 83 to Arvada. The Denver City Tramway Company was discontinued in1950.|