This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||200 Bear Creek Ave., Morrison, 80465|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965, (1980)|
|Section||S35, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Horton & Crain, "Morrison Memory Album"; Rocky Mountain Railroad Club, "Pictorial Supplement to Denver South Park & Pacific".|
|History||As early as 1868 a route had been made which covered part of the line's subsequent construction. The survey envisioned a railroad extending from Denver to Santa Fe, New Mexico, through South Park along the Arkansas River for a short stretch and then to the mining districts in the San Juans in southwestern Colorado, and from that corner of the State to the Pacific Ocean. In April 1874 actual laying of the rails began and by late June the line was completed to Morrison and two locomotives began regular service. The principle freight hauled out of Morrison consisted of stone, lumber and a little coal. By 1875 there were two regular passenger trains each way between Denver and Morrison. Among the founders of this enterprise where Governor John Evans, who was the railroad's first president; Joseph Bates, Jerome Chaffee, W.S. Cheesman, Frederick A. Clark, Henry Crow, Leonard H. Eicholtz, S.H. Elbert, Bela M. Hughs, George W. Kassler, Charles B. Kountze, David H. Moffat, and F.Z. Saloman.|