This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Rocky Flats Environmental Technology Site, Hwy. 93, Golden 80402|
|Quad||Louisville, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S4, 9&10, T2S, R70W|
|Source||Cultural Resource Survey 5JF742, 1992, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||Built in 1881-1882, but never used, by David H. Moffat, this 8200-foot-long railroad grade consisting of a large earthen berm varying in height and width from a couple hundred feet high on the southeastern portions, where some sections are not extant, to approximately 10' to 15' high and 20' wide in some areas of the northwestern corner of the plant site. The extant portions of the railroad berm are located on the gently rolling plains on the northwestern side of the plant. The berm transects several tributaries of the headwaters of intermittent Rock Creek. In many areas, this has created small ponds, which may have functioned as stock ponds. There are stands on pinon pine, rare to the plant site located along the berm.|