This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||1100-1200 blocks of Ford Street, Golden|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Source||"Colorado Transcript", August 21, 1872|
|History||Dog Hollow was the popular name for the lower, and less reputable, portion of downtown Golden, in the area of Ford Street just south of Clear Creek. The Golden Eagle (future Golden Globe) newspaper was established here by John Sarell, and is the object of this name's sole written historical account. This area, while lively into the 1880s, died out and became a ghetto, gradually dismantled until the obliteration of the last of its buildings in 1936 to make way for the Central School.|