This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||2280 Depew, Edgewater, CO 80214|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S36, T35, R69W|
|Source||"Arvada Sentinel," January 17, 1985; Olson, "Early Education in Jefferson County," Appendix-P, p. 8; "Golden Anniversary," p. 43.|
|History||Edgewater Elementary, grades K-6, takes its name from the small community it serves, which apparently was so called because of its location west of Sloan's Lake. The history is varied and lengthy, being the first school in an area called "Hog Hollow" or "Hog Ranch," now the J.C.R.S. shopping center. It had its first and eighth grade graduation in 1889. In 1901, a two-room brick school was erected at 24th and Eaton, enlarged to four rooms in 1907, and an upper story was added in 1912. All high school students attended Wheat Ridge High School until 1924 when a new building was constructed south of the original school at a cost of $13,000. In 1937 a gym auditorium, office, and classrooms were added and would continue to house the Edgewater High School until Jefferson High was completed in 1957. The present school built in 1949 sits on a site at 24th and Depew. This site was acquired by the city in 1946 for a new Edgewater Elementary and Citizens Park. In 1954, the entrance lobby was enlarged and the south wing added. Updating continues at this site.|