This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||24th & Eaton, Edgewater, CO 80214|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S36, T35, R69W|
|Source||Olson, "Early Education in Jefferson County," Appendix-P, p. 8; Coleman, "Edgewater 60th Anniversary;" Interview with Marie Fox, Historian, 1992.|
|Seealso||Jefferson High School|
|History||In 1912 all high school students attended Wheat Ridge High School. The Edgewater Elementary was Edgewater's only school until 1924 when a new building was constructed south of the original school at a cost of $13,000. In 1937 a gym, auditorium office, and classrooms were added. In 1955 Edgewater and Mountair High School students (included grades nine through twelve) were combined and moved when the new Jefferson High was completed in 1957 and opened in 1958. In 1961 the old Edgewater High School was used for overflow of seventh grade students from outlying districts. After the seventh grade school, it became an Adult Education Center. The north side was torn down, leaving the 1937 additions to be renovated for kitchen space and a large auditorium for serving meals and presenting programs. This space was used for the seniors who live in Edgewater Plaza, the adjoining high rise which was added on the north side and occupied in 1981.|