This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||1990 Depew, Edgewater, CO 80214|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S36, T35, R69W|
|Source||Toutfest, "Edgewater 50 Years"; Interview with Marie Fox, Historian, 1992.|
|History||The Edgewater Post Office enjoyed a variety of locations. The first post office was opened in Widow Humphrey's home on Sheridan Boulevard. The mail came by trolley to Saint Anthony's Hospital, and a horseback rider picked up the mail bag to deliver to the post office. When Frank Miller became the second postmaster in 1894, a corner of his grocery store on Sheridan Boulevard was devoted to the postal service. The Denver Tramway had been expanded to Sheridan, so Frank met the trolley with a wheelbarrow and carried the mail back to his store. A new post office was built in 1914 at 25th and Ames. The post office was moved once again to a rented building at 2480 Gray, where it became a branch of Denver on April 16, 1937. A new postal site was purchased from the Edgewater Redevelopment Authority. A brick facility was erected at 1990 Depew by the Postal Department. An open house was held August 24, 1991. The size is 14,000 square feet versus the 2,000 square feet at the Gray Street building where the post office had delivered service for 20 years.|