This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Edgewater, Colorado 80214|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S35, T35, R69W|
|Source||Coleman, "Edgewater 60th Anniversary, 1901-1961"; Rediscovering Northwest Denver.|
|History||In 1890 there was nothing to indicate that a town would spring up on the Western edge of Sloan Lake. The only building at 25th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard was a tavern used as an overnight stop for the stage coaches. In 1860 there was not even a lake. Records prove that an early homesteader staked the area. Sloan, hoping to farm, drilled a well for water and distributed underground warm springs that created two lakes; Cooper and Sloan. As families pushed across the Denver city limits at Sheridan Boulevard there were only a few fishing shacks, crude log gambling, and roadhouses (Ref 1). As Edgewater continued to grow, some residents were able to find employment at the amusement parks developed at Sloans Lake. Sloans Lake Resort and Manhattan Beach Park burned to the ground. Luna Park, built 15 years later, eventually faded away, but Edgewater marched on to become incorporated on August 18, 1901 (Ref 2).|