This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Quad||Evergreen, 1965 (1979)|
|Source||Sternberg, Barbara and Gene . "Evergreen, Our Mountain Community."|
|History||In the summer of 1868, former Colorado territorial governor John Evans and his family embarked on a camping trip in the mountains west of Denver. The camping party drove in spring wagons up Bear Creek to a place Bendemeer, where they camped for several weeks. Evans and his friend, Sam Elbert, explored further up the valley for a summer home. They discovered an ideal spot with beautiful vistas, lush meadows, and rushing streams. Together Evans and Elbert purchased 320 acres and then gradually expanded it until, at one time, it contained over 5,000 acres. Although Evans originally had plans to run up to 1,000 head of Texas longhorns on the ranch, that proved to be too ambitious. Since that time it has been used to graze 200 head of cattle, but has served primarily as a private retreat. The ranch has remained in the Evans family since it was originally assembled and now contains approximately 3,245 acres.|