This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bear Creek & Colo. Hwy. 74, Evergreen, 80439|
|Quad||Evergreen, 1965 (1979)|
|Section||S10, T5S, R71W|
|Source||Interview, Sandy Crain, Director of the Hiwan Homestead Museum, 1991; Jefferson County Historical Commission, "Jefferson County National Register Historic Sites," No. 18.; "Golden Globe" Industrial Edition, May 19, 1893; "History of Jefferson County Colorado" by Ethel Dark, 1939.|
|Other||Sprucedale Resort; Old Stewart Hotel|
|History||The Historic District consists of 7 acres and 23 structures, the older ones predating its use by the Episcopal church. The first building was a log bunkhouse for lumber workers probably constructed during the 1860s, and converted to a hotel by Robert H. Stewart by the time of the first church meetings here in 1872. Stewart built this into the Sprucedale Resort, which included the hotel and 8 guest cottages. Upon his death the resort was purchased by the Episcopal church, with remodeling and new buildings having been built by Scottish master carpenter John "Jock" Spence. The district is significant for its association with Canon Charles Winfield Douglas, an internationally known expert on the Plain-Song Mass. A partial list of the structures includes the Meeting House, St. Raphael's, the Stone Library, Julia's Cottage and the Bell Tower. The District is owned by the Evergreen Music Conference, the community of St. Mary's, and the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration. The music conference is the oldest continuing one in the United States, beginning in 1907. The land and the buildings were given by Mary Neosho Williams and the C. Winifred Douglas family. The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF177) on May 1, 1979.|