Flintlock Mine


AddressE. side of Dakota Hogback north of Golden
QuadGolden, 1965 (1994)
SectionS16, 17 & 21, T3S, R70W
Elevationc. 6100
SourceJefferson County Assessor Records; "Colorado Transcript" 1890s-1930s; Interviews with Ingrid Gardner
Initialdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
PersonRJG
Latestdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
Person2RJG
HistoryThe Flintlock Mine is a clay mine forming a scar running the length of the east side of the large hogback ridge north of Golden. Having always been owned as School Trust land by the State of Colorado, it has been leased out over many years to various entities to mine clay. It was originally started in 1890 to serve the Church Bros. brick works nearby, which became the Golden Fairview Brick Works. During the early 20th century its privately-owned southern end was mined by poor Italian immigrants, until it was seized during the Great Depression. During the 1990s it has been operated by the Robinson Brick Co., and is one of Jefferson County's longest-lived mines at over a century of existence. One small concrete utility building remains at its southern end.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive