Foxton


AddressOn Cty. Rd. 96, 4 mi. N.E., downstream, from Buffalo Creek on the N. Fork of the S. Platte River
QuadPlatte Canyon, 1965 (1985)
SectionS21, T7S, R70W
Elevation6455
SourceEichler, "Colorado Place Names," p. 30; Shaffer," A Guide to Place Names in Colorado," p. 23
OtherColorado & Southern Railroad - Foxton Open Shelter Railroad Platform; Park Sidung
Initialdate1993-10-28 00:00:00-06
PersonJGG
Latestdate2012-11-28 00:00:00-07
Person2REL
HistoryIt was established in 1876 by Dr. Alvin Morey, the area's first settler, who named it Park Siding for its park-like appearance. Park Siding Post Office was in operation from December 27, 1890, to May 26, 1896. In 1909, the name was changed to Foxton by a merchant, J.O. Roach, after the village of Foxhall, England. It was a stop on the Colorado & Southern Railroad, having an open shelter station platform. A post office was located here from January 21, 1909, to 1990. The property is presently owned by the Denver Water Board and several cabins are leased by the Board.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive