|History||In the mid-nineteenth century, independent Jewish mutual aid societies began to found cemeteries and provide funeral arrangements for their members. The West Side Benevolent Society was formed in 1906 to meet this need. In 1908, the WSBS purchased a rural parcel of land on West Colfax Ave. which opened as Golden Hill Cemetery. Bisected by the former road to Golden, the two sections of the cemetery were very different in character and use.
The lower, southern section of the cemetery is the larger of the two, and is well landscaped, well maintained and still in use. The upper, northern section in steep, rocky and neglected. Essentially the northern section (containing 746 grave sites) was reserved for the indigent buried at community expense, for suicides (restricted from the other graves by Jewish custom) and the numerous tuberculosis patients from Jewish Consumptive Relief Society. The victims of tuberculosis were also restricted due to the belief that persons visiting the cemetery could contract the disease through the deceased. Many graves are unidentified and still others have not been maintained over the decades. The Hill Section of the cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995 (5JF975).|