AddressE. Golden, bounded by Ford Street, Clear Creek, eastern city limits, Highway 58
QuadGolden, 1965 (1994)
SectionS28, T3S, R70W
Source"Colorado Transcript" and "Golden Globe", multiple editions; Brown, "The Shining Mountains."
Initialdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
HistoryGoosetown is Golden's historic German district, having come into its own during the 1870s as immigrant railroad workers settled around the main works of the Colorado Central Railroad on its north side. It was named "Goosetown" either for the nearby flock of geese Adolph Coors kept, or the cackling of the female inhabitants of the locality. Although Goosetown's earliest buildings dated well into the 1860s, the bulk of the locality was built by speculative builders in the 1870s, resulting in an explosion of nondescript frame housing and a fire hazard, prompting Golden's first anti-growth ordinance in 1874 banning such construction. Goosetown was home to a rowdy set of blue-collar German families, as well as a scattering of other immigrants including persons from Sweden, Poland and England. Goosetown, being near the freight depot, had a number of hotels, including the Burgess House, Omaha House, Pennsylvania House, and the German House which had earlier served as Germania Hall. Numerous bars dotted the district. Over time, Goosetown came more under the influence of Golden's Swedish population, who took over many of its establishments. After the railroad tore down its buildings there in 1927, Goosetown fell into decay for some 70 years, losing many buildings to arson and Coors expansion. By the time preservationists led by the Golden Landmarks Association began its renewal, about 80% of the district had been lost, and its last historic business (Goosetown Tavern) moved to Denver in 1998. However, its western side and most of its important landmarks remain, including the Burgess House, several homes of the Maas family that has lived in Goosetown for over a century, 2 fraternal lodges, and the historic fire station given to Goosetown by William A.H. Loveland in 1879.