Guy Hill School


AddressN. side of Golden Gate Canyon Rd., 1.5 mi. W. of Tucker/Crawford Gulch junction
QuadRalston Buttes, 1948
SectionS14, T3S, R71W
Elevation7260
SourceInterviews, Meade Abbott, Regional Historian; James & Mary Ramstetter, GGC Historians; "The Denver Post," June 1, 1976.
Initialdate1994-05-16 00:00:00-06
PersonMGR
Latestdate2012-12-03 00:00:00-07
Person2REL
HistoryNamed for Guy Hill which takes its name from John C. Guy, early homesteader in Guy Gulch. Built in 1876. Building: 1-story frame, o.d. 30.5' x 19.5', shingle roof; white with green trim outside, light color inside; 2 windows each on long side, 1 window in door; 1 entrance; anteroom with water container on table, closet, coat hooks; 1 school room, stove at front of room. Surrounding area: swings and teeter-totter; 2-door outhouse; stable; in later years separate teacherage converted from well house and coal-storage shed. Building sold April 1961 to Victor Nelson. Eventually acquired by Frank Stermole and donated to Golden Civic Fdn. Moved to 12th and Ford Streets in Golden in 1962. Still standing as historical exhibit. At its original location served also as community center for an occasional dance, meetings, Sunday School services.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive