|Address||N. of Evergreen along both sides of Hwy 74.|
|Quad||Evergreen, 1965 (2979)|
|Section||S3, T4S, R71W|
|Source||Sternberg, Barbera and Gene, "Evergreen, Our Mountain Community," pp. 208-211; Interview, Sandy Crain, Hiwan Homestead Museum Director, 1991; Interview, Joan Landy, Buchanan daughter, Oct. 1996.|
|Other||Hiwan Homestead Museum|
|History||The Hiwan Ranch extended from Evergreen along either side of Highway 74 for many miles. The 10,000 acre ranch was assembled by Tulsa oilman Darst Buchanan and his wife, Ruth. The ranch was owned by the family from 1938 to 1966.
The name Hiwan, much used in the area, was chosen by Ruth Buchanan from an Anglo-Saxon dictionary that stated its meaning to be variously as, "members of a household," "land let to members of a household," or "members of a king's household."|