Hutchinson School

Address27091 Barkley Rd. and 10441 State Hwy. 73, Conifer 80433
QuadConifer, 1965 (1979)
SectionS23, T6S, R71W
Elevationc. 8200
SourceGranzella, "A Century of Jefferson County Mountain Area Schools,' pp. 30,32.
OtherJunction School.
Initialdate1994-04-26 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1995-03-14 00:00:00-07
HistoryIn 1879 an English couple, Mr. and Mrs. Kemp and their eleven children arrived at Bradford Junction, and for the next six years school was held there in a small wooden building which some derided as a shack. This was the first school in what was to become Conifer. It may have been called Hutchinson School because that Post Office had previously gone by that name. About 1885 a new Hutchinson School was built about one quarter mile south, near the present entrance to the Conifer High School. School was held there until 1911, when District 9 started school in the abandoned Reformed Mormon church situated just south of Kitty Drive and west of Highway 285. The name was changed to Junction School. None of the buildings exist today.