J.W. Green Mercantile Co.


AddressAt Buffalo Creek community on Cty. Rds. 126 & 96.
QuadPine, 1965 (1985)
SectionS6, T8S, R70W
Elevation6634
SourceLombard, "Buffalo Beginnings," pp. 4-5.
OtherBuffalo Creek Post Office
Initialdate1994-12-09 00:00:00-07
PersonDWL
Latestdate2012-12-17 00:00:00-07
Person2REL
HistoryA small general store built in early 1880s was bought by John W. Green in 1883. The sign above the entrance read, "J.W. Green, Dealer in Everything." Fire destroyed the frame building in 1898 and a new structure was built of two-foot granite blocks from a local quarry. The store stands today and houses a U.S. Post Office and is the location of the local precinct polling place. It was the ticket office for the Colorado & Southern Railroad (narrow-gauge) until it was discontinued in 1937. The fourth generation of the Green family now assists in the operation of the store which continues to deal in everything. Placed on National Register of Historic Places, October 1974. (5JF.192).
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive