Kuehster Ranch

Address6 mi. S.E. of Critchell
QuadPlatte Canyon, 1965 (1985)
SectionS7, T7S, R70W
Elevationc. 7800
SourceBentley, "The Upper Side of the Pie Crust," p. 136; Moynihan and Waters, "Mountain Memories," p. 108.
OtherHadley Ranch, Miner's Cabin
Initialdate1996-02-02 00:00:00-07
Latestdate1996-02-20 00:00:00-07
HistoryFrederick Kuehster came to the vicinity in 1875 and built a two-story frame structure in 1877 with a dry wall cellar and several log outbuildings. The property was named the Kuehster Ranch. This homestead house was still standing in 1981 as the Jack Kuehster family home, grandson of Frederick. In March of 1880, Elbert Headley filed for a homestead portion of this land and built a one-room log cabin, furnishing it with one crudely made table and an oil drum stove. Headley and another miner by the name of young occupied it while working a nearby mine. It still stands and is known as the Miner's or Headley Cabin.