Lakewood Post Office-First

Address1477 Carr Street
QuadFort Logan 1965(1994)
SectionS3, T4S,R69W
SourceLakewood-Colorado An Illustrated Biography by Patricia Wilcox 1994
Initialdate1999-04-28 00:00:00-06
Latestdate2012-12-03 00:00:00-07
HistoryLakewood's first post office opened in the metal foundry building of the Denver Hardware Manufacturing Company near West 13th Avenue and Brentwood Street. On April 21, 1892, Joseph B. Wight, a pioneer settler, became postmaster and his name and the designation, "Lakewood, Colo." were printed on tags used in building mail destined for Denver. Not until 1937 did today's city have a post office branch all its own, and during those three-and-a-half decades Lakewood residents often were listed as living in Edgewater. A second post office was opened in June 1937. James Tinsley was first postmaster when the office opened at 7640 West Colfax Avenue, June 7, 1937. During the next three decades it was burglarized and used as a front for counterfeiting. Frank Davidson was postmaster from 1940 to 1968 and can tell many stories about the history. The Lakewood Post Office moved to 1477 Carr Street, the next move was to 8765 14th Avenue.