Lakewood United Methodist Church

Address1390 Brentwood St., Lakewood, 80215
QuadFort Logan, 1965
SectionS2, T4S, R69W
SourceHistorical Commission, "From Scratch."
Initialdate1992-05-06 00:00:00-06
Latestdate2012-12-03 00:00:00-07
HistoryAs early as 1881, many private homes and a school house near Colfax and Wadsworth Avenues were utilized for the church. After the school burned down in 1892, a new building was constructed at 10th and Wadsworth Avenues. In 1902, land was given for a Methodist Church to be built at West Colfax and Allison Street. The church members had many disagreements between 1927 and 1929, so a small congregation voted to become a Community Congregation Church. Two years later they reverted back to the Methodist affiliation when it was impossible to use the church property at their own discretion. Between 1929 and 1941, Lakewood was a growing suburb and in 1945, land at 14th and Brentwood Street was given for a Methodist Church. A new building was built in 1950 for new population growth at 1390 Brentwood with new additions added in 1954 and 1962. During the war, with little fund to use, the membership started box suppers and renting the church facilities as a meeting hall. They provided space for a public library and rent-free headquarters to Scouts, Red Cross, 4-H groups and volunteer groups.