Address1 1/4 mi. W. of Indiana St ,
QuadGolden, 1965 (1980)
SectionS26, T2S, R70W
SourceArvada Historical Society, "More Than Gold, 1870-1904," pp. 8, 158-160; "Rocky Mountain News," Sept. 14, 1941, p. 26; "Colorado Transcript," Nov. 24, 1870 "RockyMountain News," Feb. 9, 1871; "Denver Republican," June 5, 1903; "Rocky Mountain News," Dec. 14, 1958; "Colorado Transcript" 1902-1915; "Golden Globe" 1902-1915; "Rocky Mountain News" 1902-1915; "Denver Post" 1902-1915.
Initialdate1992-02-06 00:00:00-07
Latestdate2000-05-24 00:00:00-06
HistoryThe Town of Leyden was named for the three Leyden brothers, Martin, Michael and Patrick, who discovered rich coal seams along a creek also named for them in 1865. It was coal instead of gold that led to their fame as well as their tragedy. Michael Leyden was murdered in 1869 and Martin was killed in a mine accident in 1870. In 1903, Robert Perry, manager of the Leyden Coal Mine, named the town Leyden for the three brothers.The town housed a significant number of the mine's over 100 workers. It consisted of a sizable number of red cottages, church, saloon, boarding house, foreman's house, and company store laid out along a small street grid at Quaker Street and Leyden Road.