Manor House


AddressManor House Road, Ken-Caryl Valley.
QuadIndian Hills, 1965 (1980)
SectionS25, T5S, R70W
Elevationc. 6200
SourceRocky Mountain News, November 21, 1990; personal observations.
SeealsoKen-Caryl Ranch
Initialdate1995-09-22 00:00:00-06
PersonGCK
Latestdate1997-05-09 00:00:00-06
Person2DAE
History"The Manor House was built in 1914 for $100,000 for John C. Shaffer, a one-time owner of the Rocky Mountain News. Shaffer, an industrialist from Chicago, financed the Chicago Grand Opera in 1910 and was the first person to bring Hereford cattle to Colorado." Prior to Johns-Manville Company buying the Ken- Caryl Ranch, the interior of the manor was painted silver. Johns-Manville stripped the silver paint off and restored the house to its original condition. The Manor House is a privately operated restaurant today.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive