Murphy Gulch

QuadIndian Hills, 1965 (1980)
SectionS11,2, T6S, R70W10
SourceMoynihan and Waters, "Mountain Memories," p. 50.
Initialdate1994-06-25 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1994-11-07 00:00:00-07
HistoryMurphy Gulch is an area founded by Eugene Van Murphy in 1915. In the 1930s Ed Stewart, who now resides on the property, built six log houses. In the 1950s there was a real influx of year-round dwellers. In 1978 Murphy Gulch made national news with a terrible forest fire that burned 3000 acres of land. Due to the superb performance of the Inter-Canyon Fire Department, there were no homes lost except for the old Murphy's Roost, the original structure in the area.