|History||The ranch was named for its location on New York Hill on the New York Trail, also known as the Leadville Free Road. Originally the main building was a stage stop, and the old foundations at one time showed clearly in the bottom of the canyon, where stock corrals are now located below the service road. The New York stage stop also attracted traffic from the Mount Vernon Canyon turnpike and was initially a welcome watering place. Early area settlers describe the two-story frame house being about 40 feet long with a double width barn that could accommodate two wagons side by side. The stage stop was purchased in 1868 by Mrs. Louisa C. Gifford, an English immigrant. Questionable activities at the ranch led neighbors to suspect Gifford of rustling. In 1886, Gifford was arrested and sentenced to one year in prison for larceny. Later that same year the house suspiciously burned to the ground and insurance investigators suspected arson.
Next the house was purchased by Judge Hoerne. In 1896, two of his daughters were drowned, when their horse and buggy were caught in a flood in Mount Vernon Creek.
In 1903, Anna Thiede Hackett and her husband, Mark Hackett, purchased the property.|