Parmalee School

Address4460 Parmalee Gulch Rd., Indian Hills 80454
QuadEvergreen, 1965 (1979)
SectionS7, T5S, R70W
SourceBrush & Dittman, "Indian Hills"; Granzella, "A Century of Jefferson County Mountain Area Schools;" Orson, "Early Education in Jefferson County."
Initialdate1994-05-10 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1995-03-15 00:00:00-07
HistoryThe original Parmalee School was also known as the Parmalee Gulch and the old Indian Hills School. It was originally built of logs and named after John D. Parmalee (also spelled "Parmelee), an early settler in 1896. This school served for the Tiny Town area. The original school burned in 1919, a new one-room structure was built and opened in 1925, 3/4 mile west of Hwy 285. The building is now used as a community center. A new building was built in 1962 and the school opened with 200 students and is the present Parmalee Elementary School.