Pine School


AddressOn Hwy. 126, Pine
QuadPine, 1965 (1985)
SectionS27, T4S, R71W
Elevation6754
SourceMoynihan & Waters, "Mountain Memories," p. 152; Warren, "Bits and Pieces of History."
OtherPine Grove School.
Initialdate1994-05-09 00:00:00-06
PersonDWL
Latestdate1996-01-15 00:00:00-07
Person2DWL
HistoryBuilt in 1898, as many as 40 students attended at times. As long as the narrow gauge railroad made its daily run, the school population continued to be adequate, but when the line was discontinued in 1937, the town decreased in population. By 1956, there were only 6 students and the school closed. The structure became a private residence. The name was originally Pine Grove School, but one with the same name operated at Pine Junction when it was called Pine Grove in the 1860s. This led to the school's name to be changed to Pine School.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive