AddressOn Cty. Rd., 126, 6 mi. S.W. from Hwy. 285
QuadPine, 1965 (1985)
SectionS27, T7S, R71W
SourceBentley, "The Upper Side of The Pie Crust," p. 311.
Initialdate1992-02-04 00:00:00-07
Latestdate1994-11-07 00:00:00-07
HistoryIt was platted by Charles Dake about 1885 to be a summer resort, naming it Pine Grove. Trains on the narrow-gauge railroad line from Denver to Leadville took on water and coal at this location. By 1878 the Denver, South Park & Pacific lines had been laid through Pine. In 1883, the population was near 300 with many businesses flourishing and the town remained so until the last train came through in 1937. At the present time, the community remains a summer resort, plus a home for year-round residents. It was probably named for groves of Pine trees in the area.