Pinehurst Nursing Home

Address132 Spring St., Morrison 80465
QuadMorrison, 1965 (1994)
SectionS35, T4S, R70W
Elevationc. 5750
SourceSite Form, Lorene Horton, Morrison Historical Society, 1975, Hiwan Homestead Museum Library
Initialdate1998-07-16 00:00:00-06
HistoryBuilt for Gov. John Evans by George Morrison in 1874. Built of native red and white sandstone 3 stories high, the building was 123' long, 50' deep with a wing 36' x 30'. The architecture is a Swiss cottage style featuring magnificent arched windows with narrow leaded panes. It originally had 42 rooms with 16' ceilings. It is situated on the highest ground in town and affords a grand view in all directions. Called the Swiss Cottage, it was purchased in 1884 by the Catholic bishop, Joseph Machebeuf, for the use of a Jesuit order. It then became the Sacred Heart College, which was moved to Denver a few years later. At that time Frank Kirchoff purchased the building and gave it to St. Elizabeth's as a retreat in memory of his wife. It was administered by six sisters of the Poor Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration. Later it became the Pine Haven Manor. Later in the 1970s it became the Pinehurst Nursing Home.