Pioneer Cabin/Dailey Cabin

AddressOn Bear Creek, near Spence Dale Rd. and Fern Gulch, a little west of Independence Tail in Evergreen. It is now part of the building that houses the office of the Highland Haven Motel.
QuadEvergreen, 1965 (1979)
SectionS11, T5S, R71W
Elevationc. 7100
Initialdate1998-07-15 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1998-08-05 00:00:00-06
HistoryBuilt c. 1882, it was originally a one-room, gable roofed, hand-hewn square cut log cabin. There have been numerous additions like additions on either side of the original cabin. There is a large field stone chimney serving the original fireplace. During the 1880s the house was purchased by William Dailey, brother of John Dailey, co-founder of the Rocky Mountain News. Folklore credits this building with being the first cabin in Bear Creek Canyon.