Rock Flour Mill

Address622 Water St., Golden 80401
QuadGolden, 1965 (1994)
SectionS28, T3S, R70W
SourceNorman, Cathleen, "Golden Old & New," p. 32; Wagenbach, Lorraine and Jo Ann Thistlewood, "Golden, The 19th Century," p.59.
Initialdate1998-05-05 00:00:00-06
Latestdate2012-12-10 00:00:00-07
HistoryIn 1865, the Rock Flour Mill was located on Clear Creek. The large brick Italianate architecture was the original home of David Barnes, Sr. who built it and the Golden Mill. He operated it until he sold the mill in 1878. The Perry Brothers, William and Ira, bought it in the 1900s. The Rock Flour Mill still stands near Water and Ford Streets. The Italianate style was so popular in the 1850s and 1860s, characterized by a low-pitch hipped and wide overhanging brackets for support and decoration. One of three mills built in Golden, now the "Stone Mill Building."