Rocky Flats Plant – Building #44 (Plant A)/Building #444

AddressRocky Flats Environmental Technology Site, Hwy. 93, Golden 80402
QuadLouisville, 1965 (1979)
SectionS10 & 11, T2S, R70W
Elevationc. 6000
SourceHistoric Building Inventory Record #5JF1014.33, 1995, Colorado Historical Society.
Initialdate1999-01-07 00:00:00-07
HistoryDesigned and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland , Ohio, in 1953, this three- and two-story, 178,340 sq. ft. building was used for primary non-nuclear production (depleted uranium and beryllium) - foundry, machining and welding. It is an irregular shaped building with concrete exterior walls on a concrete foundation. There is an attached shed to the north side with a shed roof. In 1953, operations began and its highly sophisticated metal fabrication and machine shop was capable of producing parts to extremely close tolerances. In 1958, beryllium operations were added. In 1970, several fires involving depleted uranium occurred. In 1981, production plating operations began. In 1987, titanium stripping operations started. In 1989, the uranium foundry was shut down. A 1990 fire in the coating room resulted in the shut down of the plating lab. Between 1992 and 1994 operations ceased.