|History||It was one of the largest and one of the first ranches in the Jefferson Territory. The stone house built in 1860 is one of the oldest buildings in Jefferson County still in use and retained by the same family. The first Galloway cattle were brought in from Scotland and raised on the ranch until 1971. Coal mining operations took place on the ranch in the early 1900s.
The original ranch was 4480 acres, running from the hogback on the west to the South Platte River in Denver on the east, south to Bear Creek and north to Table Mountain in Golden. The Silver Panic of 1893 forced the sale of much of the property. Presently, 1380 acres remain in the Rooney family ownership. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF196) on February 13, 1975. As of 2010 this was one of five Centennial Farms in Jefferson County, the others being the Baughman, Wise, Schnell, and Church ranches and farms.|