Saint John’s College

Address24th & Jackson, Golden, 80401
QuadMorrison, 1965
SectionS34, T3S, R70W
SourceThistlewood & Wagenbach, "Golden: The 19th Century," pp. 93-95.
OtherUniversity School; St. John's in the Wilderness .
Initialdate1993-11-16 00:00:00-07
Latestdate1994-08-16 00:00:00-06
HistoryThis school was intended as a grammar school to qualify students to enter a university having already obtained some credit. The school opened in 1870. Founded by Episcopal minister George Randall. The school was built on land donated by Charles Welch on the present site of the Lookout Mountain School for Boys. The first building constructed was Jarvis Hall and served as a grammar school. Matthews Hall was built to serve as a mining school and another was built in 1872 to serve as a divinity school. In 1874 Jarvis Hall and the divinity school were destroyed by fire. Matthews Hall survived and was moved to the present site on the campus of the School of Mines in 1879.