Saint Mark’s Parish Church


Address1 mi. N.W. of Evergreen
QuadEvergreen, 1965 (1979)
SectionS4, T5S, R71W
Elevation7280
SourceHamilton, "Our Memories of Bergen Park," pp. 22, 31; Church Pamphlet, "History of the Church of the Transfiguration"; Sternberg, "Evergreen Our Mountain Community," p. 48.
OtherSt. Mark's Church at Bergen Park.
Initialdate1994-04-27 00:00:00-06
PersonNFM
Latestdate1995-03-16 00:00:00-07
Person2NFM
HistorySt. Mark's-in-the-Wilderness, one of the very first area churches, was built in 1874 on the site of the present Evergreen Cemetery, and first services were held that year and until 1878. The parish register ends in 1883. In 1886 St. Mark's was traded for what is now St. Philip's Church in Sedalia. The St. Mark's original structure was later moved to Main Street in Evergreen. The altar was eventually installed in the first Mission of the Transfiguration. Name from St. Mark's Church in the Bowery section of New York City, which provided funds.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive