Sampson School

Address3 mi. S. of Phillipsburg
QuadIndian Hills, 1965 (1994)
SectionS13, T6S, R70W
Elevationc. 7200
SourceOlson, "Early Education in Jefferson County;" Moynihan and Waters, "Mountain Memories," pp. 147-148.
Initialdate1994-05-09 00:00:00-06
Latestdate2012-12-10 00:00:00-07
HistorySchool District #46 was organized in 1899 and its first school house was a rented log cabin across the creek from Phillipsburg. In 1925 a brick building with a full basements and a tile roof was constructed three miles south of Phillipsburg, near the present locale of Deermont. In 1964 with dwindling enrollment, the school was closed and purchased by the Sampson Community Club. It was named for an African-American man named Sampson who discovered the largest gold mine in the area in the 1880s. Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003.