Sands House/Spring Ridge Park


Address5361 W. 26th Ave. Wheat Ridge CO 80204
QuadArvada, 1965 (1980)
SectionS25, T3S, R69W
Elevation5390
SourceElizabeth Priest Grady, Board Officer, Sands House Association; Jefferson County Clerk and Recorder, Records; Colorado Cultural Resource Survey - Historic Architectural Survey Form #5JF.1039, Robert Olson, 1998.
Initialdate1994-11-07 00:00:00-07
PersonRSR
Latestdate1999-04-07 00:00:00-06
Person2KER
HistoryThis c. 1899 two-story, irregular, rectangular brick structure was built in several stages during the 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, and the 1950s. The original building was used as a private residence by Eugene F. and Ella Conant. In 1909, Dr. Gibson acquired the building for treating tuberculosis patients and was known as the Gibson Home and Sanitarium, also known as the Cedar Lodge Home and Sanitarium. In 1917, Conant regained title and sold it to Ida F. Sands. This institution was established by Ida F. Sands who cared for indigent tubercular women patients in her Denver residence until moving to Wheat Ridge in 1917. All of its patients continued to be "charity cases." In 1948, it became a nursing home for cancer patients. Additions were built in 1956 and 1959. In 1968, it became a rehabilitation center, Julia Temple Center North, associated with Lutheran Hospital Later it became the Johnson Center, operated by the Jefferson County Community Center for Developmentally Disabled, before its current use as an Alzheimer's disease care facility.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive