|History||Recognized as a Colorado Centennial Farm, the property includes a collection of residential and agricultural buildings and structures. Established in 1888, it is the last remaining example of an early farm complex in the Bear Creek Valley area of Jefferson County. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF1030) on February 14, 1997.
The original land off South Wadsworth Blvd. was purchased in 1891 from the Hodgson Brothers by Fred C. and Sarah Schnell. They worked hard to increase their land size to 60 acres. When their son, Fred Edward Schnell married Cecil Christiansen Schnell in 1925, they moved to the farm with his parents. After the death of the older Schells, Cecil and Fred moved into the 1901 house. Fred rejected society and chose to live his life as a recluse. But while his wife Cecil did enjoy the simple things, she never rejected society as her husband did. Fred died in 1975 and Cecil in 1991. The Schell family continues on with son Fred Eugene and his wife Kathleen Schnell. The Schnells are currently restoring the 1901 farm house.|