South School

Address1314 Cheyenne Street, Golden
QuadGolden, 1965 (1994)
SectionS27, T3S, R70W
SourceBrown, Georgina, "The Shining Mountains," p. 80; Wagenbach, Lorraine et al, "Golden: The 19th Century - A Colorado Chronicle," p. 86.; "Colorado Transcript" June 23, 1873; Records of the Golden Landmarks Association
OtherGolden High School
Initialdate1997-04-04 00:00:00-07
Latestdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
HistorySituated on top of a high hill on the west side of Cheyenne Street between Third and Fourth Streets (now 13th and 14th Streets), the South School was built in 1873. Originally Golden's consolidated schoolhouse, it was designed by prominent Golden architect James B. Baker and built by contractors Robert Millikin and H.M. Root. The two-story red brick school with elegant stone quoins, sills and trimwork housed eight grades and the high school, officially established here in 1873. The first eight grades were on the first floor, while the high school was on the second floor. Before the South School was built, one-half of the school buildings in Jefferson County were made of logs. It was the first graded school in the county. The architecture was similar to the courthouse a few blocks to the east on Courthouse Hill. The cost was $14,690 including the land, grading, well-digging, furniture, and the issuance of bonds. After the North School was built in 1879, it became known as the South School and continued to be used as a high school until a new building was constructed in 1924, and a grade school until the Central School was built in 1936. The building then was sold to the Colorado School of Mines which used the building for geophysics laboratories and storage until the building was torn down in July 1965. Its main staircase, perhaps the only surviving work of Millikin, a noted carpenter, was salvaged and installed as the main staircase of what is now the Astor House Hotel Museum in Golden.