South Turkey Creek

AddressFrom Aspen Park to Tinytown
QuadConifer, 1965 (1979); Indian Hills, 1965 (1980)
SectionS11, T6S, R71W; S27, T5S, R69W
SourceMoynihan & Waters, "Mountain Memories," pp. 24-28, 59.
Initialdate1994-05-02 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1995-03-15 00:00:00-07
HistoryThis well known and historic creek and area begins in Aspen Park and runs along U.S. Highway 285 and South Turkey Creek Road to its confluence with North Turkey Creek to form Turkey Creek near Tinytown. It was the general location of five ghost towns: Herndon, Brownville, Grotto, Medlen and Reed's Mill. Through it were routed early stage lines as well as the Denver, Turkey Creek and South Park Wagon Road, established in 1867, and the Denver Bradford and Blue River Toll Road, established in 1861. South Turkey Creek was on the way to the gold and silver mines and ranching and timbering areas farther west in South Park and beyond, and it was the route of the main highway before present U.S. Highway 285 was relocated about 1950.