Spruce Lodge – Evergreen

AddressBear Creek Canyon near Evergreen
QuadEvergreen, 1965 (1979)
Source"Colorado Transcript", April 3, 1924 and February 26, 1925.
Initialdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
Latestdate1998-10-21 00:00:00-06
HistorySpruce Lodge was a group of buildings making up a popular summer resort along Bear Creek near Evergreen. The resort was originally built in the early 1860s by John Jackson Hines, who for a time operated a saw milling operation here and tore it down to make way for his home and resort. In connection with this resort he kept a grocery store still known as "Dad's Store" at the time of his death in 1924. Hines maintained the resort's popularity well into the 20th century. Spruce Lodge was destroyed when it burned to the ground in 1925.