Stonehenge


AddressW. 44th Ave., E. of Golden
QuadGolden, 1965 (1994)
Elevation5700
Source"Colorado Transcript", February 26, 1879 and other editions; "Golden Globe", December 31, 1881.
OtherFrench Smelting Works, Miners Smelting Works
Initialdate1998-10-15 00:00:00-06
PersonRJG
Latestdate1998-10-16 00:00:00-06
Person2RJG
HistoryStonehenge is a stone house with rock-walled gardens on the north side of West 44th Avenue just east of the North Table Mountain Slide. It was originally built as the business office of the French Smelting Works, constructed in 1879 by the French Syndicate that built the facility. It was originally a 1-story stone house built on an embankment overlooking the roadway below with a flight of steps leading up to a central front door flanked by windows, each with segmental arches. Above the doorway in the roof gable was a small diamond-shaped window. Nearby to the northwest was the superintendent's home, a building of identical design. Both were constructed by the Golden contracting firm of Robert Millikin & Lee. The building continued to operate as the president's home through 1884, and became part of the property of the nearby Valley Smelting Works by 1885. After that smelter failed, an arsonist attempted to destroy this building and its twin by lighting fires under them to get insurance money. Its twin was destroyed, but this one saved because a person was living in it at the time who caught the perpetrator. Later, this building served as the office of the Carpenter Smelting Works built nearby to the west during the 1910s. Afterwards, it went fully into use as a private residence with stonework terrace gardens built, known as Stonehenge by the 1920s.
Active1
LifecyclestatusActive