|History||The community of Wheat Ridge dates to 1860. The Prospect Trail to Golden and the gold mining area to the west crossed through the area. The travelers went on the trail through the ridges of wheat and as the community sought an identifying name Henry Lee a prominent farmer suggested the name Wheat Ridge.The area established school District # 8 , a church, lyceum, and and the first grange in Colorado, patrons of Husbandry Ceres # 1 , and a library all housed in the school building on Prospect Avenue (38th Ave.) at what is now Teller Street. Abram Slater had donated the ground for school use. Farmers soon learned there was a ready market for the produce of there gardens in Denver and the mining communities and with the establishment of the Rocky Mt. Ditch and other irrigation systems the wheat field became truck gardens and orchards. The 160 pre-empted acres and homesteads were soon divided into 10- to 40-acre tracts, highly cultivated for fruits and vegetables. In 1904 at the St. Louis Exposition E. Wesley Slater won the bronze Medal for his strawberries (He pointed out he was"competing with Missouri berries picked that morning." And in 1915 Joe Pearson won the Gold Medal for his strawberries at the San Francisco World's Fair.
The community continued to grow with multiple sub divisions and World War II caused an explosion of development. In 1969 the city was incorporated. In 1978 a Home Rule Charter was approved. A. E. Anderson was the first Mayor. He was the grandson of the owner of the General Store, George Washington Smith 1902 - 1930s.|