|History||On May 16, 1867, Wheat Ridge School District #8 was organized at a meeting held in the home of Martin E. Everett, which is now 7180 W. 35th Avenue. Everett had initiated the meeting and with other officers was elected secretary of the first school board. The first school was built on the northeast corner of his homestead at West 32nd Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard.
In 1873 the school was moved to a more central location donated by Abram Slater on Prospect Avenue, 7101 West 38th Avenue today. This second one room schoolhouse was truly the community center. The first Grange in Colorado, Ceres #1 was organized and met here. The Wheat Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church met in the school for ten years. It was also the home of the library, a lyceum, the polling place, and social events. In 1889 the growing community built a two-story brick structure. The frame building was moved west and is a private residence at 8991 West 38th Avenue.
The Berkeley Annex was opened in a rented space in the Berkeley Methodist Church at 43rd Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard. When the town of Mountain View was incorporated the school became Mountain View Elementary. In 1897 a brick school was built at 41st Avenue and Benton Street.
Prior to this James W. Ellison was hired as principal of the District in 1893. Significant strides in education took place under his leadership. A high school was started in 1896, with a grade added each year. At the first commencement Chester Wolff was the lone graduate. In 1908, wings were added on the east and west with an entry in each. In 1919 the auditorium and gymnasium were built on the east. The basketball program at Wheat Ridge was outstanding. In the early 1920s a science laboratory was built at the back of the school between the main building and the gymnasium.
In 1924, a two-story structure with a full basement was built and grades one through six occupied the first floor. Seventh and eighth grades were transferred to the second floors and became the Junior High.
In 1949 construction began on a new elementary school on Reed Street at 4001. This building was completed in 1950. It was named Stevens Elementary. In 1994 a new building was added to the Middle School, the oldest continuously occupied education site in Colorado.|