|History||In 1885 Golden High School was established and was the only public high school in the county until 1896 when Wheat Ridge (and Arvada) added ninth grade courses. The following three years, 1897-1900, the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade curricula were added. At the first commencement in the Spring of 1900, Chester Wolffe was the lone graduate. The school grew and by 1906 was accredited by the University of Colorado. The second story of the schoolhouse at 7101 West 38th Avenue was the site. Additions, remodeling, and replacement of the facility occurred throughout the years as growth and time dictated. In 1919 a gymnasium and 500 seat auditorium was built on the east side. In 1921 Clark Stone became the principal. North Central Association accreditation was granted in the 1920s. A spacious science laboratory was constructed on ground level on the north side. In 1937 the main buildings were demolished and a new building erected financed in part by the Federal Works Projects Administration. In 1950-51 Jefferson County reorganized their school district. School District Number 1 was created and unprecedented growth and activities challenged the school. 1958 was the year the high school was built at 9505 West 32nd Avenue. In 1976, 1,832 students were enrolled. In 1996 Wheat Ridge High School celebrated its 100th Anniversary and the theme was, "A century of Excellence."
This school served not only District Number 8. Until 1950 it was one of three accredited Jefferson County high schools and pupil enrollment included Berkely Gardens, Edgewater, Fruitdale, Lakewood, Maple Grove, and Prospect Valley, when those district offered only grades one through eight.
The school's focus has always been on academics and providing comprehensive choices. The art, music, and drama programs are recognized statewide. The athletic department has scores of trophies, championships, and honors. Some twenty clubs cover a wide range of interests and activities. Rich in tradition and stable by nature, Wheat Ridge is a source of pride to students and patrons.|