Vetebröd (Swedish Cardamom Bread)
• 1 cup warm milk
• 1/4 cup white sugar
• 2 tsp or 1 packet active dry yeast
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 eggs
• 1 TBS ground cardamom
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 cup butter, melted
• 1 egg (for egg wash)
• 1 teaspoon water
• Pearled or raw sugar for topping
1. In large mixing bowl, stir together warm milk and sugar. Sprinkle yeast over the top and let
stand until foamy (5-10 mins)
2. Stir in 2 cups flour, eggs, ground cardamom, and salt and mix until smooth.
3. Stir in melted butter and mix until smooth.
4. Add 1 cup flour over dough, and knead. Add more until dough is no longer sticky.
5. Shape dough into ball, place in bowl, and cover with a damp dish towel. Let rise for 1 1/2 hours
6. Punch down dough, divide into three pieces, and roll into 3 equal ropes about 20 inches long (or
6 smaller ropes for two loaves.
7. Braid the strands, tucking ends under, and place on baking paper-lined baking sheet. Brush with
beaten egg and water, sprinkle with raw sugar, and set aside to rise in warm, draft-free place
about 40 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 375.
9. Place bread in oven and bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
10. Remove to baking rack and cool 5-10 minutes until ready to slice and eat.