Astor House


Astor House is temporarily closed to the public for historic rehabilitation.

Astor House was built in 1867 and stayed in continuous operation as a boarding and rooming house until 1971—that’s over 100 years! It rented rooms and served hot meals to lawmakers, laborers, miners, students and families, some of whom stayed for weeks or even months.

The July 31, 1867 Golden Transcript noted that “Brother Lake has adopted the modest name of ‘Astor House’ for his new stone hotel. It is a fine house, and is nearly ready for a grand opening. It is undoubtedly the Astor of Colorado, but is somewhat smaller than the house of that name in New York.”

Many boarding establishments were commonly called houses rather than hotels since they were smaller and advertised the comforts of home. By 1882, the Golden business directory proudly listed at least eight hotels or “houses.”

Although it may not appear grandiose by modern standards, the Astor House was considered quite fancy in 1867. The first stone building in Golden, it helped to establish a sense of prosperity and permanency in a growing city.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This